Sunday, September 14, 2014

Robin Williams

Over the past month, I have sporadically been thinking about the death of the amazing and devastatingly talented Robin Williams. What a tragedy. The saddest part about it was that it was suicide. I don't think anyone saw that coming. I sure as hell didn't. It just proves that you can have all the fame and fortune in the world, but at the end of the day none of that matters. It blew my mind that a man who seemed so genuinely happy on the outside was falling apart inside. Sometimes the people with the biggest smiles are the ones who are dealing with the worst kind of pain.

Robin Williams had one of the most amazing gifts in the world, and that was the ability to make people laugh. His movies were loved by so many, maybe because he was so alive and real in them. He had the ability to make the viewer forget that they were watching a movie, drawing them into his own personal world and emotions. Whether he was showing his goofy or sensitive side, his talent always awed me.

My favorite movie of all time is Good Will Hunting starring Robin Williams and Matt Damon, who are both phenomenal actors, especially in this movie. Although Robin Williams was well known as a comedic actor, this film shows his more serious and sensitive side, which I absolutely loved. The movie is about a genius young man (Matt Damon) from South Boston, who works as a janitor and has always lived a rough life. He can solve any mathematical problem thrown at him, but he can't solve the problems that are within him, or figure out his direction in life. He then meets a therapist named Sean (Robin Williams) who will change his life forever. There is much more to it than that, but you would have to see it for yourself. If you haven't seen this movie i highly suggest that you do. It gets me every time, and Robin Williams's role and acting is simply amazing.

If I had the chance to say something to Robin Williams I would thank him for the smiles, laughter, and tears that he has brought to the world. He was an outstanding actor with a huge heart, and his talent will always be missed and deeply appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. I am actually kind of jealous that you thought to blog about this and I did not! Robin Williams was a huge part of my childhood because I loved watching Mrs Doubtfire with my dad. That movie and Robin Williams in general really showed how many people you can make smile just by cracking a simple joke. I know people think doctors, war veterans, or firefighters are the only heroes we have but heroes come in all forms. The movie Patch Adams is a true example of how much laughter can help someone in bad spirits. Robin will forever be a huge part of my life and I am so grateful to have been able to see all of his movies and watch his stand up.

    ReplyDelete

  2. You're absolutely right about heros coming in all forms. Couldn't agree more. Patch Adams is an awesome movie, and it's so great to know how dedicated and good he was to cancer patients in real life as well. A true hero and all around amazing human being. Thanks for reading!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this column and Robin Williams. Good Will Hunting is my favorite movie of his too. In my opinion, the "Game Six" scene is one of the funniest scenes in the history of cinema. It is so sad that he was making us all laugh and feel better about ourselves while he was suffering inside. I just wish he got the proper help he needed before it was too late.

    ReplyDelete